If you're trying to decide between natural and lab-created diamonds, our comprehensive guide can give you the 411 on how lab-created diamonds are made and the pros and cons of each diamond type. Let's find the perfect diamond for you.
Natural Diamonds vs. Lab-Created Diamonds
In the great debate between natural diamonds and lab-created diamonds, there is no clear winner. Ultimately, you can choose whatever speaks to your heart. While natural diamonds boast a rare appeal, lab-created diamonds are an affordable alternative for budget-conscious consumers.
How Are Lab Grown Diamonds Made?
Lab-grown diamonds are made using a variety of high-tech methods that mimic the natural diamond creation process deep within the earth. A diamond seed is subjected to high pressures and temperatures in a controlled environment to create a diamond.
Here are the two main processes used:
- HPHT: A small diamond seed is placed into a piece of carbon and is pressurized to about 1.5 million pounds per square inch and over 2,700º F. The carbon melts and forms a diamond around the diamond seed. The resulting diamond is then cooled down.
- CVD: Similar to HPHT, CVD uses a small diamond seed and puts it inside a sealed chamber that is heated to over 1,400º F. The chamber is filled with methane and hydrogen. The gasses are then broken down allowing the carbon to stick to the seed and form a new diamond.
What Diamond Is Right for You?
When choosing between natural and lab-grown diamonds, there are a few factors to consider. Regardless of your choice, either option is a beautiful and long-lasting investment that can illuminate your everyday wear.
Natural diamonds are the traditional choice, but let’s take a closer look at their true benefits and disadvantages compared to lab-grown alternatives.
- Natural diamonds are the original tokens of affection that carry a rich tradition of romance and celebration.
- Natural diamonds hold their resale value for longer than lab-grown alternatives.
- Natural diamonds take billions of years to form miles deep in the earth, granting them an air of exclusivity.
- Natural diamonds can be significantly more expensive than lab-grown diamonds of the same quality.
- Diamond mining can produce a greater carbon footprint throughout the production process than creating a diamond in a lab.
- Sourcing must be confirmed to ensure an ethical and conflict-free stone. However, many retailers, including Deutsch & Deutsch, only offer ethically sourced diamonds.
Lab-grown diamonds are a popular alternative for those looking for an affordable and beautiful diamond option. While there are many misconceptions about lab-created diamonds, we will briefly break down the benefits and drawbacks of these man-made stones.
- Lab-grown diamonds produce a far smaller negative impact on the environment making them a responsibly sourced alternative.
- Lab-grown diamonds can often be purchased for far less than mined diamonds.
- Lab-grown diamonds are captivating and cannot be distinguished between natural diamonds with the naked eye.
- Lab-grown diamonds tend to depreciate in value at a quicker rate than natural diamonds.
- Purchasing lab-grown diamonds exclusively could remove revenue and jobs from mining communities.
- Some labs can leave a heavy carbon footprint throughout their production.
FAQs About Natural Diamonds vs. Lab-Grown Diamonds
Can You Tell the Difference Between Natural and Lab-Grown Diamonds?
Unless you have high-tech machines, it is hard to tell the difference between a natural and a lab-grown diamond. Side by side, they look exactly the same. Even a trained gemologist would not be able to tell them apart with the naked eye.
How Long Does It Take to Grow a Lab-Grown Diamond?
Compared to the billions of years it takes to grow a natural diamond, a lab-grown diamond can be created in just under a month.
Are Lab-Grown Diamonds Real Diamonds?
Lab-grown diamonds have the same chemical, optical, and physical characteristics as natural diamonds, so yes, in fact, lab-grown diamonds are real diamonds for all intents and purposes.
Set Up a Diamond Consultation with Deutsch & Deutsch
Ready to find the perfect diamond? Set up a diamond consultation with Deutsch & Deutsch to find the diamond of your dreams. We can educate you about diamond certification and key characteristics to help you make a more informed purchase. Stop by one of our Texas jewelry stores to find a wide selection of loose diamonds and exceptional diamond jewelry.